Thursday, 9 April 2015

Second Dress Attempt

I was rather chuffed with my first go so when I saw the free New Look 6184 pattern in a sewing magazine, I had to get it. I opted for dress C as I thought it might be a bit simpler without adding a belt. I am a novice after all. 

I already had some cheap fabric in mind, this time sourced from a charity shop in Cheddar. My fabric came in the form of a delightful double bed sheet, giving me lots to work with. I fell in love with the design immediately, having a 1960's - 1970's feel to it. The greens and blues are really quite striking, the photograph doesn't do it justice. If anyone knows the era of this fabric, I'd love to know!! 

Rather retro looking. It cried out to me to be made into a glorious dress!

After diligently cutting the fabric out (there is still enough left to make another dress at least), I got cracking on whipping this beauty up. What I loved about the New Look 6184 pattern was the pleating on the bodice neckline. I was worried my sewing skills wouldn't match up to this particular task, but using my fabric pen, I was amazed it turned out relatively well. Another skill to add to my belt. 


I had already mastered (okay, slight exaggeration) the invisible zipper, but this pattern required something called a lapped zipper. New to me! Following some rather handy YouTube videos and using my trusty sewing book, I managed to complete it, to what I felt was a pretty good standard. I used a 22 inch dress zipper in white.  

Pleated neckline :) 

My 'lapped' zipper
I really enjoyed making this dress and I endeavour to make more using the same pattern. The only thing I need to do is adjust the shoulder straps. I'm quite petite in stature and found that the straps were about 2" too long. I'm not too sure how I'll go about doing this yet. Any suggestions would be fantastic. This is probably why people suggest making a calico dress first. However, I'm far too impatient for that. 

Thanks for reading :) 

Not a great pic, but thrilled with my second dress attempt!!




Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Giving it a go...dressmaking!!

'

I've always fancied myself as one of those multi-tasking housewives from the 1950's. Baking, cleaning, sewing, gardening...the list goes on, these women really were superhuman in my opinion. Sewing has most definitely taken my interest of late, most especially dressmaking. The 1950's and 1960's fashion has a real appeal to me and to make my own dress has been something on my to do list. Well, I have taken the plunge! 

It started out when I bought the Love Sewing magazine which featured a free sewing pattern of the Ruby Dress. I had to have it. The dress was just my style, 1950's inspired and very flattering to my shape. 

Obviously being a complete novice I was reluctant to spend lots on fabric, so I scoured the charity shops until I found the perfect alternative. I certainly hit he jackpot! £2 got me at least three meters worth of beautiful floral curtains.
My Bargain!!
 

After a few months of procrastination I finally cut my fabric and got sewing. I have to say YouTube became my best friend. During this project I learnt how to sew an invisible zipper and how to do darts. The most tricky part for me was putting the interfacing on the bodice pieces. But somehow I managed to stumble my through and actually make a dress. I even wore it out to the cinema. I have to say, it was a pretty proud moment for me. 


I made myself a 'Bridgette' head scarf (Tilly and the Buttons) with left over material.